Mini Chocolate Chip Brownie Cups
You may have picked up on the fact that I'm a bit of a brownie aficionado by the amount of brownie recipe variations I've posted on the blog. Just a bit. A teeny, tiny bit.
It's not like I'm obsessed with brownies or anything crazyyyyyy like that. Psshh, no, I just wouldn't mind if brownies were made an official food group and if it was then considered acceptable to consume brownies for say, breakfast and lunch. And maybe dinner too. That's not an obsession. That's just a personal preference, k?
Mini chocolate chip brownie cups. That's what I've got for you today.
So, what is a chocolate chip brownie cup, eh? It's basically just a brownie batter that's portioned off and baked in mini muffin molds.
But, when I say "it's basically just a brownie batter," please notice where I placed the word "basically." This isn't a basic brownie recipe. This is an incredible brownie recipe. That happens to basically just be portioned into mini muffin sized bites. Get the difference?
Well, truth is, these mini brownie cups are basic in the fact that they're super quick and easy to make. In that way they are basic. But in their flavor profile? They are not.
This brownie cup recipe yields some of the richest, gooiest, fudgiest brownies to begin with. But, baking these brownies in muffin tins only makes each bite that much more thick, dense, rich, and gooey.
Because, instead of spreading the brownie batter thinly into a pan, you're stuffing the batter into muffin cups. And muffin cups are tall and hefty. Which means your brownie cups are gonna be thiiiiiiick. And consequently, even more gooey.
Oh, also, this is a one-bowl brownie recipe. These brownies use only cocoa powder, so there’s no need to bother with melting chocolate. You'll instead be melting together the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt before mixing the rest of the ingredients into that same bowl.
And yes, I said oil. Not butter. Cuz these chocolate chip brownie cups are dairy-free. The butter isn't needed. These brownies are so rich and gooey without it. Promise.
And yes, I said chocolate chip brownie cups. Cuz these mini brownie cups are packed with chocolate chips. Well, chocolate chunks, in my case. I always opt for chopping up a bar of good-quality chocolate as opposed to dumping in a bag of chocolate chips. But that's not the point.
The point is that aside from the intense and deep and dark and rich chocolate flavor that the brownies have to begin with, you're also gonna be adding chocolate chips/chunks to the mix. To intensify the chocolate flavor even more. Getting CRAZY up in here.
And did I mention that these brownie cups are mini? They are. They're adorable. And are polished off in one or two bites.
Quick and easy. Dairy-free and one-bowl. Rich and fudgy. Soft and gooey. Mini and packed full of chocolate.
Mini chocolate chip brownie cups, let's chill together more often, yeah?
Mini Chocolate Chip Brownie Cups
Yield: about 26 mini brownie cups
½ cup oil (canola, vegetable, melted coconut)
1 generous cup granulated sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
½ cup packed flour
¾ cup chocolate chunks/chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 24-26 mini muffin molds well with a baking spray that contains flour.
2. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until mixture is warm/hot. Stir mixture together until smooth.
3. Mix in the vanilla extract, followed by the eggs, one at a time, whisking until smooth. Stir in the flour gently until just incorporated. Mix in chocolate chips last.
4. Round medium-large balls of batter between palms, forming balls. Press balls into the muffin tins, flattening tops.
5. Bake brownie cups for 11-13 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out with gooey crumbs. Toothpick should NOT be clean.
6. Let brownies cool and firm up in their molds before easing them out of the tins by running a knife along their edges.