Fluffy Strawberry Crumb Muffins
Here’s an interesting piece of information: Valentine's Day is in exactly one week. Next Wednesday. February 14th.
Here's another interesting piece of information: including strawberries in any dessert automatically makes said dessert Valentine's Day-appropriate.
Here's a third interesting piece of information: today's recipe features light and fluffy crumb muffins bursting with fresh strawberries.
See where I'm going with this? (Just in case you don't: this is a special Valentine's Day recipe. Because this recipe contains strawberries. *light bulb flickers*)
But putting aside Valentine's Day, consider making these strawberry crumb muffins anytime. Because these really are the ideal strawberry crumb muffins.
These muffins are light. And fluffy. And moist. And soft. And delicate. And quick and easy to make. And dairy-free. And of course, they're packed with fresh, juicy, sweet strawberries.
Now, should we get to my favorite part, the crumble? LET'S!
Each of these strawberry muffins is topped with a very generous helping of a tasty, crispy, sweet crumble. A crumble made with things like flour and brown sugar and vanilla extract and nutmeg and oil, all of which add some wonderful additional flavors.
By the way - strawberries and nutmeg - quite the combo, I tell you.
Basically, these strawberry muffins are sure to make a great addition to Valentine's Day. And to the rest of your winter. And to spring, when that finally comes (come now - PLEASE).
And make these crumb muffins in the summer too, of course. Because, after all, strawberries are a summer fruit. They just make a brief appearance during February for the day of love and romance.
These muffins also have a hint of lemon flavor, from additions such as lemon extract and some freshly zested lemon. Because why not introduce bright and summery flavors in the midst of winter, eh? And because a strawberry muffin with a tangy lemon undertone and a kick of spicy nutmeg is perfection.
So have one of these strawberry crumb muffins for breakfast. Or snack. Or dessert. Or all three. Nobody is gonna judge.
Just don't not make these muffins, k? Cuz then I'll definitely judge.
Fluffy Strawberry Crumb Muffins
Yield: 12 large muffins
¾ cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
zest of ½ lemon
2 cups packed flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup juice or milk (or non-dairy milk)
1 ¾ cups sliced, fresh strawberries
¾ cup flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-6 tablespoons oil
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar until smooth. Add in the eggs, extracts, and lemon zest and whisk until smooth again.
3. Pour flour, baking powder, salt, and juice/milk over wet ingredients and mix everything together until just combined. Stir in strawberry slices gently.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the dry crumble ingredients. Add in the vanilla extract and 4 tablespoons oil and stir until mixture is crumbly. If too dry, add more oil until a moist, sandy, clumpy mixture forms.
5. Using a large ice cream scoop, drop muffin batter into prepared muffin tins evenly. Sprinkle crumble generously over each muffin.
6. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out just clean.